We are writing to give you the exciting news about Headmaster Hiroki Ohara’ visit to Cleveland to help our Chapter celebrate our 40th Anniversary. We hope you please spread the word among your members about this fabulous opportunity to take workshops with our Headmaster and observe his artistry on stage at the Gartner Auditorium of the Cleveland Museum of Art. https://www.clevelandart.org/events/special-events/art-ikebana-japanese-flower-design This event, unquestionably, will also be a great educational experience for practitioners of Ohara School Ikebana by allowing us to discover his leadership in the art of Ikebana through the design and execution of his arrangements.
Here is the specific information for Headmaster’s Demonstration on September 30 at 5:00 P.M. Tickets are $50 (students with proper ID pay $20) and can be purchased online at https://www.clevelandart.org/events/purchase-tickets or by calling the Cleveland Museum of Art at 216-421-7350. Additionally, please note that at 4:00 P.M. the Museum’s Curator for Japanese Art, Dr. Sinéad Vilbur, will give a presentation entitled Expression in Flower: Ikebana Interpretations in Japanese Painting. The lecture is open to all attending the Demonstration, and it will provide a thrilling introduction to the Demonstration — you will not want to miss it.
Additionally, we would like to remind you of the two workshops Headmaster, with assistance from Professor Nishi, will be teaching at the Cleveland Botanical Garden on September 29. About 10 seats are still available. You would need to bring your own containers. For the AM Free Expression a Madoka with 1 kenzan, or container of your choice. For the afternoon class, either group A or B could use a 13″ Suiban with at least 3 kenzans or a larger oval or landscape container.
Please mail your payment for the workshops to our Chapter’s Treasurer Emily Viland — your registration will be complete once Emily receives your check. Below, please note three important points concerning your registration:
- Your time of arrival: Please note that, while 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM are class start times, you need to arrive 30 minutes before to set up so you are ready for class to begin promptly.
- What to bring: Please remember that you must bring your own container; they will not be provided. You may use a Madoka container or container of your choice for the morning class, Free Expression. For the afternoon a round or oval suiban container with 3 kenzan for multi variety (4) Color Scheme Arrangement and the same for the Landscape Arrangement.
- Lunch Choice: You will see a line in the registration form about our $30 boxed lunches, including the numbers “1, 2, 3, 4. Please refer to the information below in this email for the descriptions of your four choices, choose which one you would like, and indicate your choice on your registration form by circling the corresponding number. Beverages are included. Boxed lunch choices are:
- Garden Salad – mixed greens, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrot threads, chopped egg, pickled red onion, peppers, house made ranch dressing, chips
- Tofu Noodle Salad – soba noodles, broccoli, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, sesame oil, chips
- Falafel Wrap – butternut squash hummus, cucumber, tomato, carrot threads, chips
- Turkey, Bacon, Swiss – oven roasted turkey breast, bacon, baby swiss cheese, tomato, mayo, cubano bun, chips Choice of beverages – juices, assorted flavors; canned soft drinks; water
*Please reach out to your instructor for any questions.